Hummert International is a family owned and oriented distributor of horticultural products and services.
Our company has an immediate need for an Account Manager, responsible for selling products and services through the achievement of opportunity-based quotas. The ideal candidate will be someone who can prospect and generate business from new customers. The candidate will serve as an advocate for the best interests of our customers and a trusted partner when they encounter challenges.
The candidate must have general horticulture knowledge of the greenhouse setting and in-depth knowledge of standard and premium greenhouse equipment. The candidate must also possess the ability and aptitude to embrace and learn new sales responsibilities which involve emerging channels such as the rapidly-growing activities in the cannabis market.
The candidate should be current on cultural information of horticultural products and field crops. Experience in the garden center setting with large wholesalers such as plug/liner growers and resellers is needed. IPM and pesticide management experience and knowing where to find accurate, current information is also needed.
This individual will develop their own rhythm of prospecting, through networking and phone-based activities through the creation of sales leads, initiating outbound calls, and establishing ongoing rapport with existing and prospective customers. Integrity, vision, drive and passion are required for this role and as with all positions within a small company, job descriptions may be revised as the company expands.
- Prospect daily, generating new future business by way of internal and external lead generation and identify decision-makers among targeted leads to begin the sales process and build relationships
- Make frequent contact with existing and prospective customers by phone and e-mail to capitalize on the various cross-selling and up-selling opportunities available
- Overcome objections with original and creative alternatives discovered during the conducting of sales activities and work to help the target of your message by active persuasion and value propositions
- Emphasize product/service features and benefits, quote prices, discuss credit terms, and prepare sales order forms and/or reports while accepting, investigating, and troubleshooting customer service issues
- Execute pre-booking and program sales during key times of the year for current and new business
- Manage territorial RFQ and RFP responses to potential clients
- Make a front-line assessment of market conditions and advise the company of findings
- Ensure follow-up by passing leads to other Account Managers, Outside Sales Reps, or other Hummert Managers with calls-to-action, dates, complete profile information, sources, and so on
- Maintain professionalism, tact, diplomacy, and sensitivity to portray the company in a positive manner
- Build and maintain ongoing awareness of new products and services, competitor activities, and research
- Attend periodic Sales Trainings
- Where necessary, support marketing efforts such as trade shows, exhibits, and other events
- Appropriately communicate brand identity and corporate position
- Independent Quota, with Base plus Commission
- 5 years of direct work experience in an external sales capacity or University or college degree in Horticulture, Marketing, Business or an acceptable combination of education and experience appropriate to operate and excel at the position
- Demonstrated ability to convert prospects to customers and close deals to achieve sales quotas
- Professional demeanor, entrepreneurial selling style, and polished appearance
- Solid experience in qualifying opportunities, pre-visit planning, call control, account development, and time and territory management
- Success in identifying key decision-makers and the opportunities they represent
- Strong knowledge of distribution, retail, and wholesale sales principles, methods, and practices
- Strong problem identification and objection resolution skills
- Ability to network while building and maintaining lasting relationships with customers
- Exceptional communication, including speaking and listening skills along with the ability to deliver impactful presentations
- Strong written communication skills to a diverse group of people
- Self-motivated, with high energy and an engaging level of enthusiasm
- Able to perform basic calculations and mathematical figures
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team
- High level of integrity and work ethic
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and/or passport
- Experience with or willing to learn customer relationship management software
- Experience with Microsoft Office products is required
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals
- Occasional lifting of items up to 50 lbs.
Founded in 1932 in St. Louis, Missouri, Hummert International is a worldwide distributor of professional growing supplies, equipment and greenhouses to the horticulture, agriculture and cannabis markets. With over 26,000 products available, an in-house grow facility/greenhouse design department, and a sales team comprised of those with decades of industry experience, Hummert International aims to be a “one-stop shop” for all horticulture and cannabis design, build and supply needs.